Friday, January 14, 2011

Praise for the Kindle

I just purchased my first first e-reader, the Kindle. After two days of playing with it, I already love it. Although I tend to be a bit of a Luddite, this device - which lacks the sizzle of Ipod/Itouch/Ipad and their mutlifunctionality - does so much that I suspect that it or another e-reader will replace physical texts sooner than I thought.

Here is some of what I like it about it:
  • lots of free classics - I already have copies of Scarlet Letter, Crime & Punishment, Endichron, and The Illiad on it.
  • I love the free samples that Amazon provides of books. It makes me feel like I am browsing at a library or bookstore wherever I am.
  • The books download unbelievably quickly
  • I purchased the wifi version - no the 3 G one - and found it very easy to connect to the networks at home and work.
  • Easy to e-mail pdfs to the kindle. In seconds, I added five reseach articles in pdf. I did not have to print out the articles, thus saving a lot of paper and without having to create a file system either, and will allow me to bring home research in an easy manner.
  • It is easy to highlight key passages and very easy to review them.
  • I will never be at a loss for a book to read ever again.
  • Traveling with the kindle will save me the hassle of bringing books and research articles! I cannot wait.

I am looking forward to buying some newspaper and magazine subscriptions and seeing if that might alway me to get rid of my physical subscriptions. If that would work out, I would love it. I encourage anyone to try it out.

1 comment:

  1. Not a Kindle fan. I'm pretty sure I'll be going for the iPad, but I think I'll wait it out until they fix the bugs and stop charging for the stuff that will be considered basic soon enough.

    Have fun, though!

    ReplyDelete